The Municipality wishes to inform all ratepayers of eThekwini that a Covid_19 Special Payment Relief incentive has been approved by Council to all customers, who are in arrears.
The incentive allows for:
- Customer to enter into a credit agreement with the Municipality on condition that the owing customer pays 50% of the arrears (excluding interest) on or before 30 June 2020;
- The debt must be ninety (90) days and older;
- Total interest accumulated and raised to the customer account will be reversed;
- The customer to enter into payment plan agreement for the balance of the outstanding debt over a maximum period of 24 months.
- There will be no interest raised during the period of the payment plan agreement.
- Existing customers on a payment plan may cancel the existing agreement and enter into this once-off relief.
This incentive is a once-off relief for the period beginning on 1 June 2020 and ending on 30 June 2020.
Should a customer default on the payment plan with the Municipality, all interest written-off under the conditions of Covid_19 Special Payment Relief will be reinstated and the total debt (including interest) will be due for collection.
In addition, the following support and relief has already been approved for implementation:
Rates rebate for B&B and Guesthouses whereby they will receive a COIVD_19 rebate to bring their rates payable to the same level as residential.
For queries can be sent via the correspondence portal: http://correspondence.durban.gov.za:200/ or visit the nearest Customer Centre.